Cumberland Island







A couple of weekends ago, we and the Cropps drove down to St. Mary's (just above Florida) and took a ferry to Cumberland island. The island is full of wild horses and also has the abandoned Carnegie mansion from the late 1800's.
The ferry was about 50 feet long and took about 45 minutes to get over there. It was wonderful to feel a breeze since summer is definitely here.
We hiked around the southern area of the island and saw the wild horses grazing around the ruins with their young.
We ate our picnic lunch under the live oak trees as we watched the horses. What a great trip!

2 Comments:
Wow, that Carnegie Mansion is incredible. I wish that we could have seen this when we were in Florida (1971). We did see Ripley's Believe It or Not.
Sarah and Eric:
I went to Cumberland Island in 1992 while attending college for a year at UofGA. I don't remember seeing many horses, but I remember the smell of the paper mills as we ferried over. We camped in the designated camping area and hiked across the island. We saw the mansion, as well as another one north(?) of there. I was amazed by the diversity on the island. From live oak forests, to sand dunes and beach, to commercially planted trees, and more. It was an amazing place to visit! -- Julie
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home