Lutefisk
I have received several comments asking, "What is lutefisk?" So I thought I better explain for all of you non-scandinavians.
Lutefisk is cod which has been soaked in lye, then dried as a way of preservation. The lye is then soaked out of the fish once it is ready to be prepared for consumption. The consistency of the fish is changed through this process.
This is now a traditional food for scandinavians served with either white sauce or melted butter. But the way we buy it now is soaked and frozen from the grocery store, just ready to pop in the oven.
People either really like it, or they hate it. Lefse, lutefisk, ya sure, you betcha!

4 Comments:
Thank you for explaining, I did wonder!! So, you said the consistency of the fish changes......what is it like?
Well I hope you weren't "lye"-ing about about the lutefisk.
The lutefisk is so tender it just kindof melts in your mouth. A lutefisk-hater might say it's like Jello.
EEEEWWW, GROSS!! :)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home