Thursday, July 27, 2006

Christ Church Frederica





I have been reading several series of historical novels by Eugenia Price, an author who actually lived on St Simons Island. She wrote one series about Savannah , one about St Simons Island and another about Florida. So far I have read 6 of her books. I presently put down the Savannah series to read her spiritual autobiography. So far, it is really exciting!
The St Simons series is all about the man who built the lighthouse, his decendants, and the other families who inhabited the island. The books are completely historical except for the dialogue. I love history and these books have just been such a fascinating way to learn it.
Anyway, all of this to say that Christ Church Frederica is one of the places of importance in her St Simons series and Sharon, the girls and I were able to visit it and it's grave yard. (This is where I got the tick on me!) The graveyard contains many of the bodies of people in her stories.
Not only is this church and attraction because of Eugenia Price, but also because of John and Charles Wesley.
The sign in the above pictures is under an oak where these men of faith first started this church. They used to hold services under this tree to preach of their face-to-face meeting with God, not just religion. Touring this church is where I learned of John Wesley's quote from his diaries about this area. (Quoted in "Happy 4th!")

1 Comments:

At 10:34 AM , Blogger Karen said...

Hi Sarah, Eric and Benaiah,
Wow, you are all getting to see some great things. Robert and I were just reading and looking at the pictures of all the great places you have been blessed to visit and we both remarked that we need to get out of here, we are too isolated from all the great historic places! Hope that you are all well and no more tics.
Karen

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home