The Hofwyll/Broadfield Plantation


Several weekands ago, Eric, Benaiah and I visited the Hofwyll/Broadfield Plantation. It's not a plantation like you would normally think of in the South. It is a small rice plantation that at one time had several hundred slaves. Rice planting was much harder than cotton picking on the slaves, since yellow fever and malaria were rampant in the flooded fields.
We also found that some of the dangers that existed then still exist on the plantation - mosquitos and ticks. The park office actually had a warning up that the mosquitos were at a high level. Boy, were they! I think they thought the bug spray was candy coating. Then I felt something tickle on my toe and I looked down and there was a big tick on my toe! (I've already had to remove one since we've been down here.) I flung my sandal off, trying to get the thing off. Eric came to the rescue and killed it. Benaiah and I decided to wait in the car after that. I can handle the heat, but not the nasty creepies down here! (Helen, you don't have to worry about us moving down here!)
The mansion and the families that lived there were very fascinating though.

1 Comments:
You guys have packed so much into your time down there, lots of history etc....fun to see another part of the country.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home