Friday, April 10, 2009

A Visit to The East

I was so blessed to get to visit Eric in W.V. while he was working there for a month. Our kids stayed with my folks for four nights (first time leaving them over night) and I flew back to D.C. all by myself! It was strange, yet wonderful!



Becky drove down to see us overnight while I was there too. It was so great to see her again, just too short!


Have you ever noticed that once you have children, you don't take pictures as a couple anymore? They're all of the kids. (Becky took this one.)


All of the previous pictures in this post and the next are of Antietam Battle Field where the North and South fought a very gruesome battle. This lane was layered with dead bodies after one of the attacks



After attending church with Becky, she took off driving for home and Eric and I took off on a drive down part of the Skyline Drive in Virginia. I had driven this once with some friends about ten years ago.
Here Eric and I stand on part of the Appalachian Trail which criss-crosses the Skyline Drive many times. The Appalachian Trail runs from Georgia all the way to Maine.
I read a book once about a blind man who came to Christ and felt the Lord call him to walk this trail with his seeing-eye dog. It is a spectacular story of his growth in the Lord and the people and challenges he met along the way. If anyone knows the title, I would love the info. so I could read the book again.


At this lookout, you could see both the Blue Ridge and the Appalachian Mountain ranges. Eric spotted a bobcat and we saw lots of deer. It was spectacular to have that much time alone together!


This is the courthouse where John Brown was "tried" for attacking the arsenal at Harper's Ferry. Eric and I were able to visit Harper's Ferry and learned alot of history. (History seems so much more real when you can visit the places it occured.) I can not imagine living during the Civil War.
What side would I have been on had I been born in the South? I know what the "right" side is, but what choice would I have made then? What choices do we make about difficult cultural decisions now and what do we do to make them right?


5 Comments:

At 2:05 PM , Blogger Jennifer Caskey said...

Blind Courage by Bill Irwin and David McCasland

http://www.amazon.com/Blind-Courage-Bill-Irwin/dp/0941539865

 
At 1:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So nice to see all your updates! I'm glad we got to see each other in January - it was great catching up. Good pics of the Blue Ridge Parkway and other sites.

 
At 3:24 PM , Blogger Eric & Sarah said...

Jen, have you read Blind Courage?

 
At 4:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had never heard of Bill Irwin, but I know of David McCasland. He's the one who wrote the Oswald Chambers biography I love so much, and he's also written a good one of Eric Liddel. The combination of your recommendation and my knowledge of David McCasland's writing were enough to make me order the book. I'm looking forward to it!

 
At 12:32 PM , Blogger Cooke family said...

Nice pictures. I like the one of you and Eric standing on the trail. I would love to visit that part of the country sometime! Your snow pictures are nice too!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home